A number of research firms have changed their ratings and price targets for Shaw Communications (NYSE: SJR):
- 4/12/2019 – Shaw Communications was downgraded by analysts at Zacks Investment Research from a “hold” rating to a “sell” rating. According to Zacks, “Shaw Communications is suffering from weakness in the wireline segment due to declines in Video, Satellite and Phone subscribers, and revenues. This negatively impacted the company's second-quarter 2019 top-line growth. The company is spending heavily to improve its network and penetration, which is expected to keep margins under pressure in the near term. Shares have underperformed the industry on a year-to-date basis. However, robust performance of the wireless segment, driven by increasing subscriber base and improved ARPU, is noteworthy. Moreover, deployment of 700 MHz spectrum will further improve customer experience by providing far-reaching coverage and stronger indoor wireless reception.”
- 4/12/2019 – Shaw Communications was upgraded by analysts at TheStreet from a “c” rating to a “b-” rating.
- 4/10/2019 – Shaw Communications was given a new $30.00 price target on by analysts at Royal Bank of Canada. They now have a “buy” rating on the stock.
- 4/10/2019 – Shaw Communications had its “buy” rating reaffirmed by analysts at Echelon Wealth Partners.
- 3/20/2019 – Shaw Communications was upgraded by analysts at Zacks Investment Research from a “hold” rating to a “buy” rating. They now have a $23.00 price target on the stock. According to Zacks, “Shaw Communications is benefiting from robust performance of the wireless segment driven by an expanding subscriber base as well as improvement in average revenue per unit (ARPU). Increase in the subscriber base reflects continued customer demand for premium smartphones combined with device pricing and affordable packaging options, data centric plans, and improving network and customer experience. Moreover, deployment of 700 MHz spectrum will further improve customer experience by providing far-reaching coverage and stronger indoor wireless reception. Shaw continues to expand its footprint across Canda, which is a key catalyst. Shares have outperformed the industry in the past year. However, weakness in the wireline segment remains a concern.”
NYSE:SJR traded down $0.11 during trading hours on Monday, reaching $20.29. 12,588 shares of the company’s stock were exchanged, compared to its average volume of 430,222. The stock has a market cap of $10.40 billion, a P/E ratio of 17.19, a P/E/G ratio of 4.10 and a beta of 0.88. The company has a debt-to-equity ratio of 0.66, a current ratio of 0.73 and a quick ratio of 0.71. Shaw Communications Inc has a 1-year low of $17.50 and a 1-year high of $21.50.
Shaw Communications (NYSE:SJR) (TSE:SJR.B) last issued its quarterly earnings results on Tuesday, April 9th. The company reported $0.23 earnings per share for the quarter, topping the Zacks’ consensus estimate of $0.22 by $0.01. Shaw Communications had a net margin of 8.42% and a return on equity of 12.42%. The firm had revenue of $1.32 billion during the quarter, compared to analysts’ expectations of $1.37 billion. During the same quarter in the prior year, the business earned ($0.33) EPS. Shaw Communications’s quarterly revenue was down 1.0% compared to the same quarter last year. Sell-side analysts expect that Shaw Communications Inc will post 1 EPS for the current fiscal year.
Large investors have recently bought and sold shares of the business. Financial Gravity Wealth Inc. bought a new stake in Shaw Communications during the first quarter valued at $161,000. Eqis Capital Management Inc. increased its holdings in shares of Shaw Communications by 23.3% in the 1st quarter. Eqis Capital Management Inc. now owns 62,997 shares of the company’s stock valued at $1,313,000 after purchasing an additional 11,894 shares during the period. JCIC Asset Management Inc. increased its holdings in shares of Shaw Communications by 34.8% in the 1st quarter. JCIC Asset Management Inc. now owns 4,335 shares of the company’s stock valued at $90,000 after purchasing an additional 1,120 shares during the period. Addenda Capital Inc. increased its holdings in shares of Shaw Communications by 23.3% in the 1st quarter. Addenda Capital Inc. now owns 644,647 shares of the company’s stock valued at $13,420,000 after purchasing an additional 121,670 shares during the period. Finally, Tibra Equities Europe Ltd acquired a new position in shares of Shaw Communications in the 1st quarter valued at about $379,000. Hedge funds and other institutional investors own 51.99% of the company’s stock.
Shaw Communications Inc operates as a connectivity company in North America. The company operates through Wireline and Wireless segments. The Wireline segment provides broadband Internet, Shaw Go WiFi, video, and digital phone services to residential customers; and Internet, data, WiFi, digital phone, and video services to business customers.
Featured Story: How to find the components of the quick ratio
Receive News & Ratings for Shaw Communications Inc Daily - Enter your email address below to receive a concise daily summary of the latest news and analysts' ratings for Shaw Communications Inc and related companies with MarketBeat.com's FREE daily email newsletter.